- How to share contacts with team members
- Related articles
Sharing contacts is useful when multiple team members are working with the same contact because it allows for streamlined and consistent correspondence.
How to share contacts with team members
By default, all contacts are private. You can share contacts in two ways:
By changing all private contacts to shared contacts
In Settings under Team and Permissions, tick the box to "Share All Contacts." Ticking this box will share visibility of all contacts, regardless of if they're in a shared bucket and regardless of if they're in a bucket at all. Ticking this box will not share all conversations with all contacts. To share all conversations, you'll need to add all contacts to a bucket shared with all team members. See here for details.
By changing selected private contacts to shared contacts
To share only some contacts, place just those contacts in a shared bucket.
The easiest way to do this is by using the mass bucketing feature on the Contacts tab.
1. Go to the Contacts tab. Use the filters on the left hand side to narrow down to the contacts you want to add to the shared bucket.
2. Tick the checkboxes to the left of the contacts you want to share. You can also click "Select all" at the top of the checkbox column to edit an entire page (50) contacts at a time.
3. A menu of options will appear at the bottom of the page. Click Edit Buckets.
4. Tick the checkbox of an existing bucket or type a name in the "Search for a ..." box to create a new bucket for the contacts. Click Save. You'll see a green bar at the top of the screen confirming you've added those contacts to the selected bucket.
5. Double check that the bucket is shared with the team members you want to be able to access the contacts. To view a bucket's sharing settings, go to the Buckets tab and click the name of the bucket. Then click the small Sharing tab and confirm the appropriate team members have access. See How to share a bucket for instructions on granting team members access.
You can also add contacts to a shared bucket via the Buckets tab.
1. Go to the Buckets tab.
2. Click on the bucket you want to add contacts to.
3. Click the small Sharing tab and share the bucket if you haven't already done so.
4. Click "Add contacts +" on the right hand side of the page.
5. Type the name or email address of the contact you want to add and tick the checkbox next to the contact when it shows up in the list. Click Save.
Once you've added a contact to the shared bucket, that contact will appear in the same bucket in the account(s) of each team member with access to that bucket. If you remove a contact from the shared bucket, it will also be removed from the bucket in the account(s) of each team member with access to that bucket.
A shared bucket is indicated with a gray team icon.
How to share a bucket
You can change a private bucket to a shared bucket, or create a new bucket specifically for sharing contacts.
To share a bucket, click on the bucket in the Buckets tab and click on the bucket's Sharing tab. Click "Add team member" on the right hand side to give a team member access to the bucket. Then set that team member's level of access. The level of access you set applies just to the bucket you're editing.
The default access level is viewer access, which gives permission only to view the bucket name and contacts.
Owner access can't be modified. Only the creator of the bucket has owner access. Only the owner can delete the bucket.
Manager access gives permission to add and remove team members from the bucket.
Editor access gives permission to add and remove contacts to the bucket. It also gives permission to edit the name and goal of the bucket.
The "View conversations" option controls whether or not a team member can see conversations other team members have had with contacts in the bucket. (You can always see your own conversations with a contact.)
The Reminder column allows you set it so that a team member receives follow-up reminders for contacts in that bucket.
Can I set it so that just one team member is responsible for following up with a contact?
Yes. To do so, assign that contact to the team member. You can only assign a contact to one team member, not multiple.
Can I set it so that when any team member follows up with a contact in a shared bucket, that contact's follow up reminder is reset for all team members?
No, follow-up reminders are issued on an individual basis. Likewise, a bucket's status (green/strong, yellow/fading, red/weak) is based on each team member's activities for that bucket, not the team's activities as a whole.
What happens if I apply a program to a shared bucket?
Program steps appear on the Dashboard of the team member who applied the program.
I want my Contacts tab to show just my contacts, not team members' contacts that have been shared with me. How can I see just my contacts?
Scroll down on the left hand side of the Contacts tab and find Connected To. Uncheck the box that says "Include team's contacts." This will hide all contacts except those whom you have interacted with or uploaded personally.
If some of the contacts whom you have interacted with are in buckets you share with other team members, you may see that the Last Contact column notes a team member's interaction. This may be confusing because it looks as if you're still seeing contacts that aren't yours. It's only, however, that both you and a team member have access to those contacts. The contacts continue to show in your Contacts tab because you have interacted with them. Unchecking the box that says "Include team's contacts" hides only contacts with whom you've never interacted.
How can I make private my personal conversations with a shared contact?
Go to the contact's profile and click the icon at the top right hand corner that indicates the contact is shared. Click "Change to private." This will hide your conversation history so that it's only visible to you. The contact and other team members' conversations with that contact will still be visible to team members who have access to it. To fully share the contact again, click the red lock at the top right hand corner of the contact record.
How do I set it so that none of my team members can export or delete any team contacts?
You can adjust these settings in Contactually's Settings under Team and Permissions. Team members will always retain ownership of their own contacts. See here for details.